Apr 20, 2012

HAPPY TWO-THIRDS-OF-THE-WAY-THRU-APRIL DAY


El Jesus de Magico
Just Desserts LP
Columbus Discount CDR066 2012


I’m generally pretty foggy. On a Hoboken fire escape in my memory, poised on the edge & tipping over, is a copy of Unclean Ghost by El Jesus de Magico and my big wormy thumbs-up. Feels like ages since it clotted up the room with weed trophies and the kind of teenage post-punk refry I’ve lately come to expect only from Monterey, Mexico. But I put it on, all official-like, like I know what I’m doin here, just to clear the smeg, and it held way up. Did I check in with the fistfulla forgettables between the two releases? Can’t say that I did. Sorry, folks. We don’t cut checks here at Fuck You Counselor; just credit cards into tiny pieces.

So it brings a flush to my cheeks to announce Just Desserts pops mad bottles & licks shots, for sure, and sometimes in new and mad drastic ways. But you surely don’t get the laser-fan effect you get with a good (and early) single. The two formats is different beasts, after all.

Gems are abounding herein, ripe with ticks from Chrome and Kennelmus both. Yeah, it’s a stinky, dirty stock pot kinda voyage. Heck, on the last cut, the extended, roiling title track, the leads burp from “Sunday Morning,” to a smothered “Friday’s Child.,”—ya know, “Friday’s child/Born a little ugly.”1 I swear it gets positively classical at times. “We God Thyme,” shimmers in the afterburn of the first side like a good S2S1 oughta. Speaking of the afterburn, I’m callin “Good UFO/Bad UFO Experience,” the single despite it’s nigh-10min clock-in, just cuz that kinda snake rock don’t drop in much. Check the synth mash in there for bonus flavor points. And who can look the quick and simple joy of an opener like, “Live Dead” in the mouth?

Seems a might bit sloppy of me to just now be talkin’ on something from the Columbus Discount bunker, but at least we’ve broken the window. I meant no harm, y’all; I’m just generally pretty foggy.

In an absurdly puny edition of 100.





1Ok, maybe not that funky, but at least that lit. I just refused to relinquish the pun.

No comments: